Sunday, January 4, 2015

Blue Yeti Microphone for gaming commentary and more

Blue Yeti Microphone for gaming commentary and more


I purchased the Blue Yeti Special Black edition microphone from a  user on Ebay for $90. I've been recording videos for years and I didn't have a high quality microphone which I feel is essential at this point. Before this I was using either the microsoft HD lifecam mic that was listed in the my computer setup post. I will be making a video comparing all of my microphones very soon!

First impressions

Packaging was strange to get into but very nice and appealing. I was very surprised at the weight of it! It is quite heavy. However I feel that quality equipment would have weight to it so I'm happy. The build is very sturdy and it looks extremely elegant in any office. No troubles installing it and getting it to work on my computer running Windows 8.1.

Using it for commentary

I have not made a commentary video YET but I will link the video here of me using it for gaming commentary as soon as it's released!

Using it for Skype, Vent, etc.


I have however been using it to talk my friends on skype quite a bit. When it comes to communication microphones or headsets there are a couple variables that one must worry about. First off let me say that I use it simply standing there on my desk with no pop filter or booth or anything of that nature. Anyways those variables usually consist of:

-general quality and ability to hear voice at any pitch 
the Blue yeti excels at this even if I don't speak loudly my friends are always able to hear me.

-not picking up annoying background sounds such as...anything ever
Have you ever had a headset that picks up every car and truck that passes down your road? That's what I'm talking about. Technically you should be able to control this with ease using the properties of the device and changing the levels and what not. That is the case with the Yeti. It has perfect control to choose how much you want to pick up. If I didn't want my keyboard to be too loud I might have to turn the levels down because it will still pick up me typing over 100 words per minute on the loudest keyboard ever Black Widow Ultimate also mentioned in the computer setup post.

The other noise factor you must worry about is your own computer

I have an AMD fx 8150 with a stock cooling fan. It is NOT quiet. When I'm playing the more intense games like Guild Wars 2 or Battlefield 4 I will have to turn my mic volume down so my friends don't hear hhhHhHHRRHRHRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM in the background.

Final Thoughts


Overall I do like my purchase, I'll get a pop filter and then maybe create or buy some sort of booth for it. As for my computer I need an aftermarket cooling setup or a quiet water cooling solution. Have anything to recommend me? Go ahead and comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment